- Learn sure-fire tactics and combinations from one of the world´s top chess players.
Using classic board situations arranged in chapters by tactical themes, Seirawan teaches you how to:
- Plan your entire game from the very first move
- Think ahead, step by step, anticipating every obstacle your opponent can throw your way
- Position yourself for the smashing combination and endgame you've always dreamed of
- Board positions from actual games played by history's great chess tacticians are provided throughout. Review tests for each topic let you track your improvement. In no time, you'll be playing better and with more confidence than you ever thought possible.
Yasser Seirawan is one of the top-ranked chess players in the U.S.A. and was the first American candidate for the World championship title since Bobby Fischer. He is a three-time U.S. Champion, the 1989 Western Hemisphere Champion, and a six-time member of the U.S. Chess Olympiad team. His achievements distinguish him as one of a handful of players to defeat world champions Garry Kasparov and Anatoly Karpov in tournament play.
PART 1 Tactics and Combinations
011 CHAPTER ONE Definitions 016 CHAPTER TWO The Double Attack 040 CHAPTER THREE The Pin
050 CHAPTER FOUR The Skewer
053 CHAPTER FIVE King Tactics and Combinations
073 CHAPTER SIX Deflection 079 CHAPTER SEVEN Battery on an Open File or Diagonal 089 CHAPTER EIGHT The Power of Pawns 098 CHAPTER NINE The Decoy 103 CHAPTER TENClearance Sacrifice 108 CHAPTER ELEVEN X-Rays and Windmills 114 CHAPTER TWELVE Zwischenzug
116 CHAPTER THIRTEEN Other Kinds of Draws
PART 2 Great Tacticians and Their Games
131 CHAPTER FOURTEEN Adolf Anderssen (1818-1879)
140 CHAPTER FIFTEEN Paul Morphy (1837-1884)
146 CHAPTER SIXTEEN Rudolf Spielmann (1883-1942)
151 CHAPTER SEVENTEEN Frank Marshall (1877-1944)
157 CHAPTER EIGHTEEN Alexander Alekhine (1892-1946)
166 CHAPTER NINETEEN Mikhail Tal (1936-1992) 174 CHAPTER TWENTY Garry Kasparov (1963-)
PART 3 More Tests and Solutions
185 CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE Basic Tactics
187 CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO Advanced Combinations
189 CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE Professional Combinations 191 CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR Solutions to Tests from Part 1 208 CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE Solutions to Tests from Part 3